- May is CF Awareness Month!
- Mamaroneck Flowers and BEF Team Up
- Gunnar Esiason: The Face Behind BEF
- Phase 2 Study of Kalydeco and VX-661 Shows Promising Increases in Lung Function
- One Year Post Transplant: Where is Jerry today?
- New Infection Prevention and Control Policy from the CF Foundation
- The CF Foundation Expresses Concern About Proposed Disability Benefit Changes
- 2012 Champions for Charity
- Jerry Cahill, 56-Year Old CF Survivor and Athlete, Featured on CBS’s Courage in Sports
- NHLBI has Launched a Program on Early Cystic Fibrosis Lung Disease
- Team Boomer’s First Year in the Bank of America Chicago Marathon was a Success
- CFF and Walgreens Team Up
- A Heroic Group of Women Triumphing over Cystic Fibrosis
- Congratulations to the 2012 2nd Quarter Recipients of the BEF Scholarship
- Archbishop John Hughes Council #481 to host a Disco Night BEF Fundraiser
- Boomer’s Still Battling Cystic Fibrosis
- Congratulations to the 2012 Recipients of the Scholarship of the Arts
- FDA Advisory Committee supports the use of Novartis inhalation powder, Tobramycin
- Congratulations to Courtney Robinson, 2012 Rimington Trophy Scholarship Winner
- Sabrina Smith Walker, a Club CF Participant, is In the News
- Congratulations Emily Nickels and Clayton Roll, 2012 Exercise for Life Scholarship Winners
- Congratulations to the 2012 Rosemary Quigley Scholarship Recipients!
- Gene Network Restores Cystic Fibrosis Protein Function
- Congratulations to Olivia Burke, the most recent recipient of the Bonnie Strangio Scholarship
- Additions have been made to the You Cannot Fail store!
- Vertex Receives European Approval for KALYDECO™
- Jerry Cahill featured in Everyday Health
- Team Boomer Website
- Boomer’s Cystic Fibrosis Run to Breathe
- 3 Months Post-Transplant, Jerry Cahill will Run to Breathe
- Barron helps kids with Cystic Fibrosis Climb the “Poor Man’s” Everest
- Final Results from Phase 2 Combination Study of Kalydeco and VX-809 Show Significant Improvements
- Legislation to Expedite Approval of Rare-Disease Drugs Moving Through Congress
- BEF Releases New Wind Sprint on Working Out While Traveling
- PTC Therapeutics Announces Promising Results from Phase 3 Trial of Ataluren
- BEF Announces ‘You Cannot Fail… You are the Hero of Your Own Story’ Scholarship for CF Students
- June Deadlines Near for Five CF Scholarships
- CFChef Announces New Recipe Contests for 2012
- A Letter From Boomer: Causes for Celebration
- New Podcast: Bobby Bebber on Overcoming All Obstacles with CF
- Progress Made on Cayston® Supply Challenges, CFF Reports
- Concentrated Saline Therapy Not Effective in Young Children with CF, Study Finds
- FDA Approves New Drug Application for Digestive Care’s PERTZYE
- Double-Lung Transplant Has ‘Humbled Me Dramatically,’ Cahill Says
- Online CF Quiz from Gilead Sciences Tests Knowledge, Supports BEF
- BEF Expands Amazon Storefront to Include More ‘You Cannot Fail’ Merchandise
- Second Annual NY Yankees Celebrity Softball Event to Benefit BEF
- Application Deadline for Scholarship of the Arts is May 16
- NYRR Opens Registration for 2012 Boomer’s CF Run to Breathe
- Vertex Reports Promising Interim Results for Phase 2 Trial of Kalydeco and VX-809
- Charity Navigator Awards BEF Second Consecutive Four-Star Rating
- ‘You Cannot Fail’ Book Now Available on Amazon.com
- Tickets on Sale Now for 2012 Refi Rock Spring Fling!
- Documentary on Eva Markvoort to Air May 3 on Oprah Winfrey Network
- New Facebook Tool Allows Members to Share Organ Donor Status
- Two Weeks Post-Transplant, Jerry Cahill Speaks Out on Organ Donation, CF Awareness Month
- ‘Donate Life Month’ Takes on New Meaning with Jerry Cahill Lung Transplant
- New Website Offers Insight on Cystic Fibrosis Gene Mutations
- New Wind Sprint: Club CF Is Valuable Online Resource for CF Community
- Boston College Club Lacrosse Teams Compete to Fight CF
- Maryland Football ‘Lift for Life’ Event to Support BEF and CF Community
- Atlantic Cup Sailing Race to Benefit BEF and CF Community
- April 17 Deadline Approaches for CFCareForward Scholarship
- Celebrate ‘Donate Life Month’ By Registering to Become an Organ Donor
- BEF Launches Online Shopping Cart Featuring ‘You Cannot Fail’ Merchandise
- New Podcast: Rick Lerz One Year After a Double-Lung Transplant
- Team Boomer Hits the Streets at NYC Half-Marathon
- Hoops and Hops: Check Out the Photos
- PMD Healthcare Giving Away Spiro PDs for World Asthma Day
- iTunes Offers App for CF Wind Sprint Video Series
- New CF Wind Sprint Looks at Transitioning from College to the Career World
- FDA Approves New Enzyme Therapy for People with CF
- New CF Wind Sprint Looks at Transitioning from High School to College
- Rimington Trophy Scholarship Established to Support Students with CF
- Gilead Sciences Working to Address Supply Shortage of Cayston
- PMD Healthcare Launches Personal Spirometer To Monitor Lung Function
- New CF Wind Sprint Looks at Transitioning from Pediatric to Adult CF Care
- BEF Awards ‘Sacks for CF’ Scholarships to Outstanding Students with Cystic Fibrosis
- Sales of Team Boomer ‘Vintage’ Tees to Benefit Fight Against CF
- FDA Approves KALYDECO™; Vertex to Begin Shipments Immediately
- Rimington Trophy Presented to ‘Unquestioned Leader’ of Michigan Football Team
- New Podcast: Colleen Caul’s ‘Run for Roses’
- Vertex Planning Additional KALYDECO™ Clinical Trials in 2012
- BEF Establishes Gunnar Esiason Scholarship Fund at Boston College
- Boomer Esiason to Co-Host ‘Live! with Kelly’ Show on January 11
- Rimington Trophy to be Presented to Michigan’s Molk on January 14
- Help Moganko Meet the Muppets and Boost CF Awareness
- What’s Your New Years Resolution? Want to Exercise More? Join Team Boomer!
- Sydney Esiason Discusses Being a CF Sibling
- 7th Annual Berkeley College Charity Car Show Raises More Than $25,000 for BEF
- Kalydeco (VX-770) Available to People with Critical Medical Need
- Mannitol Shown to Improve Lung Function When Added to Standard CF Therapy
- FDA Grants Priority Review for KALYDECO™ from Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- New CF Wind Sprint Demonstrates Exercises with Kettlebells
- Help Us Make a Difference in the Cystic Fibrosis Community
- YOU CANNOT FAIL Book and Merchandise Available Online, Just In Time for Holiday Gift Giving
- Michigan’s David Molk Named Recipient of 2011 Rimington Trophy
- New Podcast: Josh Mogren on Moving Forward After Losing a Sibling to CF
- New Clues for Improving Antibiotics for Tolerant Bacteria
- How CF-Related Diabetes Differs from Types 1 and 2
- Genzyme and CFFT Announce Collaboration to Discover New CF Drugs
- December 15 Deadline Approaching for BEF Academic Scholarship
- Boomer Esiason Foundation Unveils New Logo for Team Boomer Athletic Program
- Team Boomer Opens Registration for 2012 NYC Half-Marathon
- Abbott Announces Winners of ‘CFChef Challenge’ Recipe Contest
- Team Boomer Marathoners Raise More Than $500,000 to Support CF Community
- CBS New York Features Team Boomer in Marathon Coverage
- New York Times Article Features Team Boomer Marathoner
- BEF Launches YOU CANNOT FAIL Campaign with Sale of Inspirational Book by Jerry Cahill
- Boomer’s Team Triumphs in Fordham Basketball Scrimmage
- New England Journal of Medicine Features Study of Kalydeco (VX-770)
- Check Out the Photos from the 2011 Refi Rock Halloween Event
- Thirty Outstanding Students with CF to Receive ‘Sacks for CF’ Scholarship
- Vertex Applies to FDA for Priority Review, Approval of VX-770
- New Cystic Fibrosis Wind Sprint Demonstrates Reaching the Back with a Percussor
- Team Boomer Marathoner Qualifies for 2012 Olympic Trials
- Boomer Esiason to Host CF Education Event in Philadelphia
- NYRR Highlights Team Boomer Marathoner with CF
- Agile Sciences Gets NIH Grant to Study Treatment for Lung Infections
- FDA Requests Additional Study of Arikace®, Insmed Says
- New Book on Ironman Triathletes Highlights Athlete with CF
- New Podcast: Marc Smolowitz, Director of ‘The Power of Two’
- Fishing and Golf Event in Mexico to Benefit CF, MS
- Nick News Special Focuses on Organ Donation, Features Teen with CF
- Tickets on Sale for Annual Refi Rock Halloween Party
- Troupe with CF Dancer Finishes in Second Place on America’s Got Talent
- CF Chef Recipe Contest Deadline is September 28
- Boomer and Carton Host Special Guests at BGC Charity Day Broadcast
- New Podcast Features Jerry Cahill on Getting Involved in the CF Community
- Boomer Esiason Remembers 9/11 in NFL Video Interview
- Dancer With CF Part of Troupe in Finals of 'America's Got Talent'
- Sales of Vineyard Vines Tie and Tote Bag Benefit BEF
- BEF Board Member Timothy O’Brien Remembered as 9/11 Anniversary Nears
- 2011 Exercise for Life Scholarship Recipients Named by Boomer Esiason Foundation
- 'Power Of Two' Movie Hits Oscar Qualifying Circuit; Documentary Features Sisters With CF
- Team Boomer Issues Last Call for Guaranteed Spots in the 2011 ING NYC Marathon
- Save the Date: 2012 Boomer's CF Run to Breathe
- Pulmatrix Invests in Clinical Programs in Cystic Fibrosis and COPD
- BEF Releases Video Recapping Boomer's CF Run to Breathe
- 2011 CF Scholarship Recipients Named by Boomer Esiason Foundation
- Insmed Announces Clinical Hold on ARIKACE® Phase 3 Clinical Trials
- New York Yankees Present BEF with Proceeds from Softball Event
- New CF Wind Sprint Demonstrates Simple Exercises for the Legs
- CF Foundation Kicks Off 'Make Every Breath Count' Campaign
- National Minority Donor Awareness Day Marks Fifteenth Anniversary on August 1
- Teen with CF Educates Multicultural Populations About Organ Donation and Coping with Serious Illness
- Vertex Plans to Submit New Drug Application for VX-770 to FDA in October
- Most Parents Unaware of Medical Research Opportunities for Their Kids
- Changes in Lung Stem Cells May Contribute to CF Progression
- Electromed Awards Jerry Cahill First Annual Distinguished Service Award
- New Podcast Discusses Organizing CF Medical Information and Being Your Own Patient Advocate
- Battle of the Bugs: Pseudomonas Breaches Cell Wall of Rival Bacteria Without Hurting Itself
- Bacteria Use Batman-Like Grappling Hooks to 'Slingshot' on Surfaces, Researchers Find
- CF Chef Recipe Contest and Online Nutrition Program Launched by Abbott
- New Invasive Diagnostic Procedure Seems to Be No Advantage Over Current Standard Procedure
- FDA Approves 25,000 Lipase-Unit Strength of ZENPEP®
- Results and Photos from the CF Run to Breathe
- Thousands Participate in CF Run to Breathe
- BEF President Dave Rimington Featured on ESPN.com
- New Podcast Discusses Being a CF Parent
- The Summer's Hottest Party: Boomer and Carton on Fire Island
- Civilian Military Combine to Benefit BEF
- New CF Wind Sprint Demonstrates Simple Upper Body Exercises
- NY Yankees Fundraiser: Check Out the Photos!
- Researchers Discover New Airway Stem Cell
- Esiason Hosts Charity Softball Games at Yankees Stadium
- New Report Helps Adolescents Transition to Adult Care
- Empire Challenge Photos Available Online
- Refi Rock Spring Fling ROCKS Statue of Liberty
- Support Gunnar Esiason and Jerry Cahill in the Run to Breathe
- LI Bests NYC in 16th Empire Challenge All-Star Game
- Irish Woman Receives Groundbreaking Lung Transplant
- Signaling Pathway Is 'Executive Software' of Airway Stem Cells, Researchers Find
- Changing Genetic ‘Red Light’ to Green Holds Promise for Treating Disease
- FDA Approves Infant Dosage for CREON
- Rare Diseases Often Caused by Mutations in Essential Genes, Researchers Find
- Vertex to Expand Access to VX-770 for Patients with Critical Medical Need
- VX-770 Shows Positive and Lasting Results Throughout 48-Week Phase 3 Study
- Phase 2 Study of VX-770 and VX-809 Show Promising Results in Patients with Most Common Mutation
- Aradigm Gets FDA Orphan Drug Designation for Ciprofloxacin for Inhalation in Bronchiectasis
- HHS Reduces Insurance Premiums for Pre-Existing Condition Plan
- Jerry Cahill Inducted into CHSAA Hall of Fame
- NY Yankees Celebrity Softball Event to Benefit BEF
- Exercise: A CF Photo Essay
- Drug Shortages Force Hospitals to Hunt for Substitutes
- CF Bacteria Could Help Combat Other Superbugs, Researchers Find
- Boomer and Carton to Guest Judge on 'Iron Chef America'
- UnitedHealthcare to Present Annual Empire Challenge
- New CF Wind Sprint Demonstrates How to Use the PowerLung
- WCBS-TV to Air PSA on CF Run to Breathe
- Researchers Identify Genes Linked to Worsening of CF
- U.S. News Releases 2011-12 Rankings of Best Children's Hospitals
- Abbott Test Assists in CF Screening
- New Podcast Discusses Life Before and After a Double-Lung Transplant
- Run for a Cause: Set - and Achieve - an Exercise Goal
- What's Your CF IQ?
- Toronto Student Finds CF Treatment by 'Hacking' Supercomputer
- Jerry Cahill Awarded Ellis Island Medal of Honor
- New Podcast Focuses on Adulthood With CF
- WBUR Special Report on VX-770
- New CF Wind Sprint Demonstrates Cardio Exercises
- Simple Exercise Improves Lung Function in Children with Cystic Fibrosis
- NYRR Opens Registration for Boomer's Cystic Fibrosis Run to Breathe
- CF Awareness Month 2011: The Power of Exercise
- New CF Wind Sprint on Stretching
- Drug Combo for CF Lung Infections Could Address Antibiotic Resistance, Researchers Say
- FDA Rejects Liprotamase, Calls for More Studies
- Boomer Urges Donor Registrations in New York State Campaign
- New Podcast on Getting Motivated Before and After a Lung Transplant
- CF Patients Fight Grim Prospect with Bright Outlook
- CFF Expands Vertex Partnership
- New Molecular Structures Could Fight Infectious Diseases Better than Conventional Antibiotics
- Clinical Trials Legislation Takes Effect
- Pittsburgh Hospital Leads in Lung Transplants
- Vertex Press Release on VX-770 Phase 3 Clinical Trial
- VX-770 Trial: 'Profound Improvement' in Kids
- New Wind Sprint on Core Exercises
- Pig Model Of CF Improves Understanding Of Disease
- Researchers Explore 4-D Imaging of CF Lungs
- BEF Scholarship Apps Due 3/15
- FDA Panel Not Sold on Personal Genetic Testing
- New Team Boomer Video: Why Do You Run?
- VX-770 Achieves Positive Results in Phase 3 Clinical Trial, Vertex Announces
- Axcan Pharma CEO Explains Impact of Axcan-Eurand Merger
- Phase 3 Trial of Ataluren Expected to be Completed in 2011
- Denufosol Phase 3 Trial Published in Leading Medical Journal
- TCU Senior Wins 2010 Rimington Trophy
- Samsung, Sears and BEF Team Up to Tackle Cystic Fibrosis
- New England Journal of Medicine Publishes Phase 2 Study of VX-770 for Treating Cause of CF
- Phase 2 Results Show Ataluren Restores Production of Functional CFTR Protein
- Cystic Fibrosis Gene Typo is a Double Whammy
- Growth Defects in CF May Start Before Birth, Study Finds
- Discovery Labs KL4 Surfactant Granted Orphan Drug Designation for the Treatment of CF
- Pharmaxis Announces Positive Combined Phase 3 CF Trial Results
- Gilead's Cayston Beats Tobramycin Inhalation Solution in Six-Month Head-to-Head Study
- Analysis Shows TOBI Associated With Reduced Mortality in CF Patients With Common Lung Infection
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals Clinical Trial to Evaluate Combo of VX-770 and VX-809 Targeting CFTR Protein
- Impaired Metabolism in CF Lung Epithelial Cells Revealed by Metabolic Analysis
- Bacteria Identified as New Foe for CF Patients
- Human Growth Hormone Shows Promise in Treating Cystic Fibrosis Symptoms
- University of Texas Researcher Receives $2.1 Million Grant to Focus on Drug Delivery to Lungs
- 'Improving Access to Clinical Trials Act' Passes U.S. House; Heads to President for Signatur
- PTC Therapeutics Awarded $1.6 Million FDA Grant to Support Ongoing Phase 3 Study of Ataluren
- iTunes Offers New App for Jerry Cahill's CF Podcasts
- Researchers: Vitamin D May Treat, Prevent Allergic Reaction to Mold in CF Patients
- Luminex Announces Commercial Launch of New CF Genetic Screening Test
- BEF Awards $10,000 Scholarships to Two Student-Athletes
- Out of Grief Sprouts a Life-Saving Legacy
- 'Improving Access to Clinical Trials Act' Passes U.S. Senate in Victory for CF Advocates
- New CF Drugs Bring Hope; More Survive Into Adulthood, But They Face New Challenges
- Eurand Reports Further Positive Data from Pancreatic Insufficiency Drug Study
- Cincinnati Children's Cited in US News Report As a 'Best' Hospital for CF Kids
- Limit Antibiotics for CF Exacerbations to 10 Days, Registry Study Says
- Lilly to Acquire Alnara; Company's Liprotamase Currently Under FDA Review
- New Study Examines Impact of MRSA on CF
- Researchers Still Expect Genetic Mapping Project Will Lead to New Drugs
- FDA Extends Availability of Pancreatic Enzyme Therapy Pancrease Until Mid-July
- Pancreatic Enzyme Therapy Pancrease to Have Limited Availability, CFF Says
- Data Suggest Denufosol May Hold Promise as an Early Intervention Treatment for CF
- Mpex Presents Positive Phase 2 Clinical Trial Results of Aeroquin Treatment in CF
- Aradigm Receives FDA Clearance for Clinical Trial of Inhaled Liposomal Ciprofloxacin
- Azithromycin Doesn't Always Help Lungs in CF Patients Without P. Aeruginosa, Study Finds
FDA Approves New Powder form of Novartis TOBI
FDA Advisory Committee supports the use of Novartis inhalation powder, Tobramycin
09/06/2012The Anti-Infective Drugs Advisory Committee to the US Food and Drug Administration voted today in favor of the use of TIP by cystic fibrosis patients.
Gene Network Restores Cystic Fibrosis Protein Function
08/10/2012Researchers at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine have discovered a genetic process that can restore function to a defective protein, the most common cause of cystic fibrosis.
Final Results from Phase 2 Combination Study of Kalydeco and VX-809 Show Significant Improvements
06/29/2012Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated (Nasdaq: VRTX) announced today final data from a Phase 2 study of VX-809 and KALYDECO™ (ivacaftor) that showed statistically significant improvements in lung function among adults with cystic fibrosis (CF) who have two copies (homozygous) of the most common mutation in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) gene, F508del.
PTC Therapeutics Announces Promising Results from Phase 3 Trial of Ataluren
06/08/2012PTC Therapeutics today announced the results from a Phase 3 study of ataluren that demonstrated positive trends in lung function and the rate of pulmonary exacerbations.
Progress Made on Cayston® Supply Challenges, CFF Reports
05/24/2012Gilead Sciences Inc. says it has made progress resolving a shortage of its inhaled antibiotic Cayston® that began earlier this year.
Concentrated Saline Therapy Not Effective in Young Children with CF, Study Finds
05/23/2012Inhaling concentrated saline mist does not reduce how often infants and young children with CF need antibiotics for respiratory symptoms, according to findings from a recent clinical trial.
FDA Approves New Drug Application for Digestive Care’s PERTZYE
05/23/2012Digestive Care, Inc. has received U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval of its new drug application for PERTZYE™, developed for the treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency due to CF or other conditions.
Vertex Reports Promising Interim Results for Phase 2 Trial of Kalydeco and VX-809
05/07/2012Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. today announced promising interim results from a Phase 2 clinical trial of its cystic fibrosis drug Kalydeco™ and VX-809, a CF drug in development.
PMD Healthcare Giving Away Spiro PDs for World Asthma Day
03/16/2012PMD Healthcare is encouraging the cystic fibrosis community to enter a sweepstakes contest for a chance to win a personal spirometer.
FDA Approves New Enzyme Therapy for People with CF
03/02/2012The FDA has approved Ultresa, a new pancreatic enzyme product used to help aid food digestion in people with cystic fibrosis.
Gilead Sciences Working to Address Supply Shortage of Cayston
02/15/2012Gilead Sciences says it is working to address "significant and unanticipated challenges manufacturing enough Cayston to meet demand in the United States."
PMD Healthcare Launches Personal Spirometer To Monitor Lung Function
02/13/2012PMD Healthcare Inc. has launched the first and only personal spirometer that enables patients with lung diseases to easily and accurately monitor their lung function any time and anywhere.
FDA Approves KALYDECO™; Vertex to Begin Shipments Immediately
01/31/2012Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. announced on January 31 that the FDA has approved KALYDECO™ (ivacaftor), the first medicine to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis.
Vertex Planning Additional KALYDECO™ Clinical Trials in 2012
01/09/2012Vertex Pharmaceuticals is planning additional studies of KALYDECO™ in children with CF and in people with CF who have certain mutationsnot previously evaluated. Pending feedback from regulatory agencies, it plans to begin three studies in mid-2012.
Kalydeco (VX-770) Available to People with Critical Medical Need
12/21/2011According to the CF Foundation, an expanded access program for Kalydeco™ (VX-770) is now available at participating clinical sites for people with the G551D mutation who have highly limited lung function and may benefit from treatment.
Mannitol Shown to Improve Lung Function When Added to Standard CF Therapy
12/16/2011Adding inhaled dry powder mannitol to standard CF therapy produced sustained improvement in lung function, according to a new study by Pharmaxis Ltd.
FDA Grants Priority Review for KALYDECO™ from Vertex Pharmaceuticals
12/15/2011The FDA has granted a request by Vertex Pharmaceuticals for priority review of KALYDECO™, the first potential therapy to target the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis.
How CF-Related Diabetes Differs from Types 1 and 2
11/22/2011In addition to Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, there is another variant of the disease: cystic fibrosis-related diabetes. It differs in some important ways from Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes and it requires different treatment methods.
New England Journal of Medicine Features Study of Kalydeco (VX-770)
11/02/2011The New England Journal of Medicine features a study this week about a Phase 3 clinical trial of Kalydeco™ (VX-770), a potential CF therapy undergoing review for approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Vertex Applies to FDA for Priority Review, Approval of VX-770
10/19/2011Vertex Pharmaceuticals today submitted a new drug application to the FDA for KALYDECO™ (VX-770). If approved, the drug will be the first treatment to target the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis.
FDA Requests Additional Study of Arikace®, Insmed Says
10/10/2011Insmed Inc.today announced that it has been notified by the FDA that it is continuing the clinical hold previously placed on Insmed's phase 3 clinical trials for ARIKACE® in CF patients with Pseudomonas lung infections.
Pulmatrix Invests in Clinical Programs in Cystic Fibrosis and COPD
08/15/2011Biotech company Pulmatrix has decided to focus its efforts on PUR118, the company's lead clinical drug candidate for cystic fibrosis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Insmed Announces Clinical Hold on ARIKACE® Phase 3 Clinical Trials
08/05/2011The FDA has placed a clinical hold on phase 3 clinical trials for ARIKACE® in cystic fibrosis patients with Pseudomonas lung infections.
Vertex Plans to Submit New Drug Application for VX-770 to FDA in October
07/29/2011Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. said it is on track to submit in October a new drug application for VX-770, a promising CF therapy.
FDA Approves 25,000 Lipase-Unit Strength of ZENPEP®
07/14/2011Aptalis Pharma announced that the FDA has approved a new strength of ZENPEP® (pancrelipase) Delayed-Release Capsules for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.
FDA Approves Infant Dosage for CREON
06/14/2011The FDA has approved an infant-specific dose of Abbott's CREON® (pancrelipase) Delayed-Release Capsules to treat exocrine pancreatic insufficiency due to cystic fibrosis.
Vertex to Expand Access to VX-770 for Patients with Critical Medical Need
06/10/2011Vertex Pharmaceuticals announced a plan to provide VX-770, a cystic fibrosis medicine in development, to people with the G551D mutation who are in critical medical need and may benefit from treatment prior to potential approval of the drug from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
VX-770 Shows Positive and Lasting Results Throughout 48-Week Phase 3 Study
06/10/2011Vertex Pharmaceuticals reported positive final results of a Phase 3 clinical trial of VX-770, a CF medicine in development that targets the underlying cause of the disease.
Phase 2 Study of VX-770 and VX-809 Show Promising Results in Patients with Most Common Mutation
06/09/2011Vertex Pharmaceuticals announced promising results from a Phase 2 study evaluating combinations of VX-770 and VX-809, potential medicines designed to treat the defective protein that causes cystic fibrosis.
Aradigm Gets FDA Orphan Drug Designation for Ciprofloxacin for Inhalation in Bronchiectasis
06/06/2011Aradigm Corp. has received orphan drug designation from the FDA for ciprofloxacin for inhalation for the management of bronchiectasis.
Drug Shortages Force Hospitals to Hunt for Substitutes
05/30/2011A growing shortage of medications for a host of illnesses — including cystic fibrosis — has hospitals scrambling for substitutes to avoid patient harm, and sometimes even delaying treatment.
New CF Wind Sprint Demonstrates How to Use the PowerLung
05/25/2011As part of its CF Awareness Month focus on exercise, the Boomer Esiason Foundation has released Episode 17 in the Cystic Fibrosis Wind Sprint series: Using the PowerLung.
WBUR Special Report on VX-770
05/06/2011WBUR's "Common Health" takes a closer look at the Vertex drug VX-770 in its recent special report, "New Cystic Fibrosis Drug Brings Gift of a Future."
FDA Rejects Liprotamase, Calls for More Studies
04/18/2011The FDA has rejected Eli Lilly and Co.'s EPI drug candidate liprotamase and has ordered the company to conduct additional clinical trials on the potential therapy.
CFF Expands Vertex Partnership
04/07/2011The CF Foundation is expandin its collaboration with Vertex Pharmaceuticals for the discovery and development of additional drugs aimed at treating the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis.
Vertex Press Release on VX-770 Phase 3 Clinical Trial
03/30/2011Read the complete Vertex Pharmaceuticals press release on its recent findings in the Phase 3 clinical trial of VX-770.
VX-770 Trial: 'Profound Improvement' in Kids
03/30/2011Vertex Pharmaceuticals reports positive results from Phase 3 clinical trial of VX-770 for children age 6 to 11.
VX-770 Achieves Positive Results in Phase 3 Clinical Trial, Vertex Announces
02/23/2011Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. announced positive results from the Phase 3 STRIVE study of VX-770, a potential therapy that targets the defective protein that causes CF.
Axcan Pharma CEO Explains Impact of Axcan-Eurand Merger
02/14/2011Axcan President and CEO Frank Verwiel explains how Axcan's merger with Eurand will affect customers.
FDA Committee Declines to Recommend Liprotamase for EPI
01/13/2011An FDA advisory committee voted to recommend non-approval of liprotamase, currently under FDA review for the treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.
Mpex Starts Phase 3 Clinical Trial of Aeroquin? for Treating Chronic Bacterial Infections in CF
01/10/2011Mpex Pharmaceuticals, Inc., today announced it has initiated its Phase 3 clinical trial program with Aeroquin? (MP-376) for the treatment of pulmonary infections in patients with cystic fibrosis.
Inspire Reports Disappointing Results for TIGER-2 Denufosol Phase 3 Clinical Trial
01/04/2011Inspire Pharmaceuticals, Inc. today announced disappointing results from its second Phase 3 clinical trial, TIGER-2, with denufosol tetrasodium for the treatment of cystic fibrosis.
Phase 3 Trial of Ataluren Expected to be Completed in 2011
12/21/2010PTC Therapeutics, Inc. announced today that it has completed enrollment of a Phase 3 clinical trial of ataluren, an investigational new drug, in patients with nonsense mutation cystic fibrosis (nmCF).
Denufosol Phase 3 Trial Published in Leading Medical Journal
12/17/2010Inspire Pharmaceuticals, Inc. announced today that the results from its first Phase 3 clinical trial with denufosol tetrasodium for cystic fibrosis, TIGER-1, have been published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.
New England Journal of Medicine Publishes Phase 2 Study of VX-770 for Treating Cause of CF
11/17/2010In a study published in this week's New England Journal of Medicine, treatment with a new drug candidate known as VX-770 resulted in improvements in lung function and markers of disease in a Phase 2 clinical trial of 39 people with cystic fibrosis.
Phase 2 Results Show Ataluren Restores Production of Functional CFTR Protein
11/16/2010PTC Therapeutics, Inc. today announced the publication of data from a Phase 2a clinical trial of ataluren in children with nonsense mutation cystic fibrosis (nmCF) in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. The published data show that treatment with ataluren, an investigational new drug, resulted in statistically significant improvements in the production and function of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR), a critical protein lacking in CF patients.
Discovery Labs KL4 Surfactant Granted Orphan Drug Designation for the Treatment of CF
11/01/2010Discovery Laboratories, Inc. today announced that the Office of Orphan Products Development of the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted orphan drug designation to Discovery's KL4 surfactant for the treatment of cystic fibrosis (CF). Orphan designation provides for up to seven years of U.S. market drug product exclusivity for the designated indication following marketing authorization.
Pharmaxis Announces Positive Combined Phase 3 CF Trial Results
10/22/2010Pharmaceutical company Pharmaxis today announced significant results of pooled data from its two large scale six month Phase III trials of Bronchitol (inhaled mannitol) in people with cystic fibrosis.
Gilead's Cayston Beats Tobramycin Inhalation Solution in Six-Month Head-to-Head Study
10/21/2010Gilead Sciences, Inc. announced that its head-to-head Phase III clinical trial of Cayston® (aztreonam for inhalation solution) versus tobramycin inhalation solution in cystic fibrosis patients with Pseudomonas aeruginosa achieved its co-primary endpoint of superiority of Cayston for mean actual change in forced expiratory volume in one second (FEV1, a measure of lung function) percent predicted across three treatment cycles (six months).
Analysis Shows TOBI Associated With Reduced Mortality in CF Patients With Common Lung Infection
10/21/2010A new analysis of data from more than 12,000 people with cystic fibrosis (CF) and Pseudomonas aeruginosa (Pa) lung infection in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Patient Registry shows that use of TOBI(R) (Tobramycin Inhalation Solution, USP) was associated with a 21% reduction in mortality in the following year. The results were presented today at the 24th Annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference (NACFC) in Baltimore, Maryland, sponsored by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Clinical Trial to Evaluate Combo of VX-770 and VX-809 Targeting CFTR Protein
10/18/2010Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. today announced the initiation of a Phase 2a clinical trial that will evaluate multiple combinations of VX-770 and VX-809, investigational oral cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) modulators for the treatment of cystic fibrosis. The trial is designed to evaluate the safety and tolerability of VX-809 dosed alone for 14 days followed by dosing of VX-809 in combination with VX-770 for 7 days. The trial will also assess the effect of VX-809 alone and in combination with VX-770 on CFTR function, as measured by sweat chloride. The three-part trial is designed to enroll up to a total of 160 people with two copies of the F508del CFTR mutation, the most common mutation in the CFTR gene.
PTC Therapeutics Awarded $1.6 Million FDA Grant to Support Ongoing Phase 3 Study of Ataluren
09/21/2010PTC Therapeutics, Inc. announced a grant award of approximately $1.6 million from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Office of Orphan Products Development to support an ongoing Phase 3 study of ataluren in patients with nonsense mutation cystic fibrosis.
New CF Drugs Bring Hope; More Survive Into Adulthood, But They Face New Challenges
07/27/2010Emily Schaller likes to travel as part of the cystic-fibrosis advocacy she does, but the daily regimen she uses to manage her disease weighs her down. "You have to bring three extra bags with meds and the vest," she said.
Eurand Reports Further Positive Data from Pancreatic Insufficiency Drug Study
07/21/2010Eurand Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of specialty pharmaceutical company Eurand, has announced additional data from a post-hoc analysis of a Phase III clinical trial with Zenpep delayed-release capsules, an FDA-approved pancreatic enzyme product, or PEP, for the treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency in patients with cystic fibrosis or other conditions.
Cincinnati Children's Cited in US News Report As a 'Best' Hospital for CF Kids
07/19/2010A 'best' hospital for CF kids: unhappy with its so-so record, Cincinnati Children's used tools of health reform to turn itself around.
Limit Antibiotics for CF Exacerbations to 10 Days, Registry Study Says
07/16/2010A retrospective analysis of more than 1,500 patients suggests nothing is gained by extending intravenous (IV) antibiotic treatment beyond 8 to 10 days, or by giving antibiotics in the hospital.
Lilly to Acquire Alnara; Company's Liprotamase Currently Under FDA Review
07/02/2010Eli Lilly and Company and Alnara Pharmaceuticals, Inc. today announced they have signed a definitive merger agreement whereby Lilly will acquire Alnara, a privately held biotechnology company developing protein therapeutics for the treatment of metabolic diseases.
FDA Extends Availability of Pancreatic Enzyme Therapy Pancrease Until Mid-July
06/09/2010The CF Foundation has learned that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will allow wholesalers to distribute the pancreatic enzyme product Pancrease® MT to pharmacies until July 12, 2010. At that time, an updated formula called PancreazeTM will become available and will replace Pancrease.
Pancreatic Enzyme Therapy Pancrease to Have Limited Availability, CFF Says
06/08/2010The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation has learned that the pancreatic enzyme product Pancrease will be available in limited supply at pharmacies around the country until an updated formula called Pancreaze is made available this summer.
Data Suggest Denufosol May Hold Promise as an Early Intervention Treatment for CF
05/19/2010Inspire Pharmaceuticals Inc. announced today that Inspire scientists will present data suggesting that denufosol, an inhaled ion channel regulator, has properties that allow it to reach and improve lung function in the small airways, which may support its potential as an early intervention therapy.
Mpex Presents Positive Phase 2 Clinical Trial Results of Aeroquin Treatment in CF
05/17/2010Mpex Pharmaceuticals, Inc. today announced the presentation of data from its Phase 2b clinical trial with Aeroquin that demonstrated statistically significant improvements in bacterial load, respiratory function and time to need for anti-pseudomonal antibiotics versus placebo in a heavily treated patient population.
Azithromycin Doesn't Always Help Lungs in CF Patients Without P. Aeruginosa, Study Finds
05/05/2010Children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis who received the antibiotic azithromycin did not experience improved lung function, compared with patients who received placebo, according to a study published in the May 5 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.